I set up camp in the rain a few metres from the fjord and then headed to the shelter of the main campsite huts where others were gathered. I met a German couple who had also planned to walk through the Hardangervidda and they were looking seriously glum. The receptionist at the campsite allowed us to check the weather forecast and it put a serious downer on my mood. My parents had told me there were flood warnings in the area and the weather report showed torrential rain and had storm and flood warnings across the area for days to come. The area was so stunningly beautiful but there was no way I wanted to walk and wild camp through this, the Hardangervidda is a harsh environment at the best of times but in heavy storms it was dangerous to cross. There wasn’t going to be a break for another four days, so I settled down to some pasta and a cup of tea and decided what my next plan of action was going to be.

My choice was to hang around for almost a week, and sit out the storm until I could do some walking or write off the area and come back another time in my life. I chose the latter option and was absolutely gutted about it. On Sunday night I booked a hostel in Oslo for two nights and looked at bus times. My mood by this point was as low as it has ever been as my whole camping trip was in disarray. I knew from the start that I could only wild camp in Norway and Sweden and Norway had become a complete write off.
The bus to Oslo cost over sixty pounds but I got a hostel for a reasonable price. Two nights and a full day in Oslo would give me enough time to decide what I was doing next. I had a laugh with the German couple about how ridiculous the weather was and how unlucky we all were, so much for a summer holiday.
I woke up on Monday to a gorgeous view looking south down the fjord. Annoyed that I wouldn’t be able to explore this magical place, I left the campsite and headed to the bus station. The journey was seven hours to Oslo and I got stuck in front of an old drunk who belched and farted in between cracking open beer cans. He tried to steal my bus ticket and at a rest stop bought ice creams for a load of the children on the bus. Luckily the creep passed out for a few hours and we all got a break. Unfortunately the visibility was so poor there was not much of a view, and the Hardangervidda looked seriously intimidating in this weather.
I think I’ve made the right decision, but now I really haven’t got a clue what I want to do for the rest of this trip. I think I’ll make it a mix of camping and exploring cities. I’ll be blogging again soon and hopefully after a day in Oslo I will be in better spirits and have a better idea of what I ant to do next.